|APPEARANCES AND OTHER DECEITS|
| Crusade, Episode 1x08 |
Production number: 113
First aired: 28 July 1999
| Written By: J. Michael Straczynski|
Directed By: Stephen Furst
Executive Producer: Douglas Netter
& J. Michael Straczynski
Producer: John Copeland
Production Designer: John Iacovelli
Director of Photography: Frederick V. Murphy II
Editor: Jeff Hodge, Michael B. Hoggan & Skip Robinson
Music By: Evan H. Chen
|Story Date: Mid-March, 2267|
|Preceded by: Ruling from the Tomb|
|Followed by: The Memory of War|
|Preceded by: The Rules of the Game|
|Followed by: Racing the Night|
Appearances and Other Deceits is an episode from the TV Series Crusade which is a spin off from Babylon 5. However, due to the emergence of three episode lists, it is unclear where this episode falls in the chronology of the series.
- "Who Are You? Matthew Gideon, Captain. Attached to the Earth Alliance Starship Excalibur. What do you want? To find a cure to the Drakh plague before it wipes out all life on earth. Where Are You Going? Anywhere I Have To. Who do you serve and who do you trust? Who do you serve and who do you trust?"
- – Galen Questioning Captain Gideon
- Gary Cole as Captain Matthew Gideon
- Tracy Scoggins as Captain Elizabeth Lochley (Credit Only)
- Daniel Dae Kim as Lieutenant John Matheson
- David Allen Brooks as Max Eilerson
- Peter Woodward as Galen (Credit Only)
- Marjean Holden as Dr. Sarah Chambers
- Carrie Dobro as Dureena Nafeel (Credit Only)
A Pair of Earth reps come to Excalibur to give it a PR makeover for people back home. However there may not be much of a ship left when an alien life force, a malevolent entity spread by human touch, also boards.
- "Personal journal, Captain Matthew Gideon, continued. It's now 3 days since our visitors arrived on behalf of Earthgov's political affairs office. There's apparently some concern about how our work here is being perceived back home. They've been assigned to... help us. Before their tour is finished, I may have to kill them, assuming Lieutenant Matheson doesn't beat me to it."
- – Matthew Gideon
13 episodes of crusade were produced before TNT cancelled the series. According to posts by J. Michael Straczynski, which are archived on jmsnews.com, TNT broadcast the episodes out of the intended sequence. The order of the episodes was then revised when they were re-broadcasted on the Sci-Fi channel, the Sci-Fi channel actually contacted Straczynski and asked which order he would prefer the episodes were broadcast. A third order was formally endorsed by Straczynski as the "true" chronological sequence of events for the filmed episode, as it appeared in The Official Babylon 5 Chronology (published in the pages of The Official Babylon 5 Magazine in 1999-2000). This particular ordering supersedes Straczynski's own "preferred" sequence from a strictly chronological and causal standpoint. The original broadcast order as set by TNT was used for the DVD releases.
Revised Broadcast OrderEdit
Using the Revised Broadcast Order Appearances and Other Deceits is episode 13 of 13.
|Preceded by:||Crusade episodes||Followed by:|
- The mute alien found in the pod at the top of the episode was played by Doug Jones, best known for his work portraying non-human characters (usually in heavy make-up.)
- Appearances and Other Deceits at the Internet Movie Database
- Episode guide page for Appearances and Other Deceits at the Lurker's Guide
|Babylon 5 franchise|
|Babylon 5 & Crusade Episodes by Season|
|Signs and Portents The Coming of Shadows Point of No Return No Surrender, No Retreat Wheel of Fire Crusade: Season 1 Unfilmed Episodes|
|The Gathering In the Beginning Thirdspace River of Souls A Call to Arms The Legend of the Rangers Voices in the Dark|
|Novels Comic Books Short Stories Reference books Magazines|
|DVD Releases VHS Home Video The Official Guide to Babylon 5 Babylon 5: Into the Fire|
|"<<< A Call to Arms" "War Zone" "The Long Road" "The Well of Forever" "The Path of Sorrows" "Patterns of the Soul" "Ruling from the Tomb" "The Rules of the Game" "Appearances and Other Deceits" "Racing the Night" "The Memory of War" "The Needs of Earth" "Visitors from Down the Street" "Each Night I Dream of Home"|
|"To the Ends of The Earth" "Value Judgements" "End of the Line"|