|IN THE BEGINNING|
|Production number: TNTCF2|
Release Date: 4 January 1998
| Written By: J. Michael Straczynski|
Directed By: Mike Vejar
Executive Producer: Douglas Netter
Co-Executive Producer: J. Michael Straczynski
Producer: John Copeland
Production Designer: John Iacovelli
Director of Photography: John C. Flinn III, A.S.C.
Editor: Skip Robinson
Music By: Christopher Franke
| Story Date: December 24th, 2277 (framing story)|
2245 - 2248 (narrative)
| Preceded by: Voices in the Dark (framing story)|
| Followed by: Sleeping in Light (framing story)|
The Gathering (narrative)
|Preceded by: The Deconstruction of Falling Stars|
|Followed by: No Compromises|
In the Beginning is the second of six Babylon 5 TV Movies. It is set during the Earth-Minbari War, prior to the events of the Babylon 5 TV Series.
- Bruce Boxleitner as John Sheridan
- Mira Furlan as Delenn
- Richard Biggs as Dr. Stephen Franklin
- Andreas Katsulas as G'Kar
- Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari
Special Guest StarEdit
- Robin Atkin Downes as Morann
- J. Patrick McCormack as General Robert Leftcourt
- Tricia O'Neil as President
- Robin Sachs as Coplann
- James Patrick Stuart as Presidential Aide
- Jason Azikiwe as Captain Roger Sterns
- Yasemin Baytok as Centauri Woman
- Kristin Birch as Woman #1
- Justin Carroll as Comm Officer
- Ardwight Chamberlain as Kosh
- Jacob Chase as Luc
- Tim Colceri as Michael Jankowski
- Lane Davies as Callier
- Timothy Davis-Reed as Man #1
- Pancho Demmings as Alpha 7
- Steven Ford as First Officer
- Mio R. Jakula as Ganya Ivanov
- Nick Jameson as Minbari Pilot
- Mike Kennedy as General Fontaine
- Erica Mer as Lyssa Deradi
- Mark Rafael Truitt as Minbari Warrior
- Jeffrey Willerth reprised his role to wear the Kosh costume, while stand-in Floyd Vaughn wore the Ulkesh costume.
- Though credited as a "Special Guest Star", Michael O'Hare only appeared through archival footage shot for "And the Sky Full of Stars".
The story of the Earth-Minbari War is told from the memories of G'Kar, Delenn and Londo Mollari.
This TV Movie was released with four others and some limited special features on Region 1 DVD. For more information see:
This TV Movie was released with five others and some limited special features on Region 2 DVD. For more information see:
This TV Movie was released on a single DVD with no Special Features on Region 2 DVD. For More Information see:
The Novelization of Babylon 5: In the Beginning was published in 1998 and written by Peter David.
The film raises a few questions, that at first glance appear to contradict the established version of events.
- Of particular note is the details surrounding the destruction of the Black Star. Specifically, in ("Points of Departure"), Sheridan states the following: -
- "...I hit on the idea of mining the asteroid field between Jupiter and Mars. A fusion bomb doesn't have to lock on to anything if it's close enough. It took out the Black Star and three heavy cruisers before they could escape."
- – Sheridan to Ivanova ("Points of Departure")
- While no information is given within the movie as to the timing and location of the battle, the Black Star appears to be alone and the three heavy cruisers Sheridan mentions are nowhere to be seen. The only clue to the timing of the event comes, again from ("Points of Departure"), when Sheridan mentions it's been 12 years (from early 2259) since the incident. This places it in 2247, which is consistent with Ivanova's age at the time (See below.)
- Ivanova age is sometimes brought up as being inconsistent when this is simply incorrect. Her birthdate is established in ("Eyes") as 2230, while ("Sic Transit Vir") establishes she enlisted in 2247, making her 16 (a few months short of 17) during the scene between her and Ganya Ivanov. She may have looked older, but after all, Claudia Christian was in her early-30's when filming the scene, so a little suspension of disbelief is required.
- The true source of the confusion surrounding Ivanova's age is actually the episodes ("TKO") and ("The Long Night"). In ("TKO"), Rabbi Koslov states that Sofie's death was a year prior to Ganya's, (placing Susan in her early to mid teens, as above) while Susan's own account of the incident in ("The Long Night"), leaves one with the impression that she was just a small child at the time.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- The scene that featured a brief confrontation between Lenonn and Morann in Delenn's quarters was trimmed down from what was originally scripted and shot. The exchange was originally much more heated and culminated in Lenonn drawing his pike on Morann before Delenn can get between them and order Morann out.
- In the Beginning at the Internet Movie Database
- Episode guide page for In the Beginning at the Lurker's Guide
|Babylon 5 franchise|
|Babylon 5 & Crusade Episodes by Season|
|Signs and Portents The Coming of Shadows Point of No Return No Surrender, No Retreat Wheel of Fire Crusade: Season 1 Unfilmed Episodes|
|The Gathering In the Beginning Thirdspace River of Souls A Call to Arms The Legend of the Rangers Voices in the Dark|
|Novels Comic Books Short Stories Reference books Magazines|
|DVD Releases VHS Home Video The Official Guide to Babylon 5 Babylon 5: Into the Fire|